FAQ COVID-19 UPDATES & RESOURCES
Last updated 05-24-21
What are the hours of operations in the coming days for Building One Community?
The Center is open from 9 to 4 daily, by appointment only and for emergencies.
We require all persons at the Center to register, have their temperatures taken, wear masks at all times, sanitize their hands, and practice social distancing.
We follow strict CDC guidelines for cleaning and sanitation.
B1C Statement Regarding Covid-19 Protocols
In accordance with public health guidance, B1C strongly encourages the community to receive an FDA-approved Covid-19 vaccine, unless advised otherwise by a health care provider.
We are not currently mandating Covid-19 vaccination for staff, volunteers, or program participants. To ensure everyone's safety, we are still requiring that staff and visitors wear masks indoors at B1C and follow social distancing when possible. Please refrain from asking others about their vaccination status or plans, as some people might have medical considerations that they don't wish to share.
Appointments for COVID Vaccines
B1C has partnered with Community Health Centers, Inc and the City of Stamford to bring vaccines to the immigrant community. The final vaccination clinic at B1C will be on Sunday, June 6. We will communicate registration information when it opens. If you do not have an email or need further assistance, you can call (203) 674-8585 ext. 130, leave a message with your name and number and we will return your call.
Walk-up vaccinations through Stamford Health are now available at 1 Elmcroft Road,(203) 276-7300, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
Are programs and events canceled?
Due to COVID-19, most of our onsite programs have moved online or have been canceled. English and Citizenship classes, Immigration Legal Services, Family and Individual Services, POWER, and Workforce Development team work remotely with program participants to meet their needs and provide support. There are a few limited in-person programming on a reservation-only basis. We hope to increase in-person programming in the near future while meeting the highest standards of safety for everyone. Please check our social media and website for updates.
Who may we contact for additional information from B1C?
Please contact our program areas by phone or email.
- Volunteer Information - [email protected]
If you are interested in helping out, please contact our volunteer department.
- ELL Information - 203.883.2098 or [email protected]
We currently only offer small, socially distanced, classes onsite.
Our online ELL program is in full swing. Please reach out to Suzanne if you would like to participate.
To all our program participants we suggest that you use the following FREE Apps to continue to learn and practice - Learn to Speak English, Speaking English Practice, English Listening & Quiz, and English Vocabulary Practice. To all our program volunteers, please see the section below on how you can continue to help.
- Family & Individual Service Information - 475.419.5340, 203.832.0755 or 203.883.2065 or [email protected]
We understand that our program participants may need more help now than ever before.
For the safety of everyone, we are offering consultations by telecommunication, phone calls and in-person on Tuesdays and Thursdays by appointment ONLY. We are working hard to provide program participants with updates and resources.
An emergency relief fund has been established to be distributed to families in need. In addition, we have also added a rental relief program. Please contact us for more information.
- POWER Information - 203.550.1559 or [email protected]
All scheduled POWER meetings will continue to meet via phone and video conferencing. Parents will receive instructions on how to meet using their phones and computers.
In addition, we have launched a successful Homework Club online to help children with online learning.
- Immigration Legal Services - 203.674.8585 ext. 109 or [email protected]
We are scheduling telephone and Zoom consultations on all immigration-related issues, and we continue to work on cases with new and existing clients. We offer a free Virtual Q&A with an Immigration Attorney once a month to answer your questions via Zoom that is open to all. Please contact [email protected] to request a consultation or more information. For emergency immigration legal issues, call 203.391.4084.
- Workforce Development – For the Hiring Site please contact 203.252.7044 or [email protected] and for Skills Development & Outreach please contact [email protected] or 475.333.9216.
At this time, many of our programs are running remotely with a few exceptions on site. We are keeping program participants informed through WhatsApp. We are also actively trying to find ways to promote indirect jobs in the community that can benefit our day workers while social distancing.
HOW CAN WE HELP
Hundreds of our local immigrant families are facing a chaotic and stressful time. Many have been living paycheck-to-paycheck and do not have savings or support systems to help them. We are working around the clock to organize food distribution, collaborating with city officials to help uninsured immigrants if they become sick, keeping our building open for day workers, offering urgent care management and referrals, and providing video and immigration legal phone consultations to those in need. We hope you will support our efforts to work together not to let our community down when they need us the most.
How can YOU support us?
Please note that we cannot accept any physical drop-offs of food donations at B1C. Therefore, we have put together an Amazon Wish List instead.
- Financial Contributions to Support All Our Work - Please consider a donation to support our efforts. We are ready to take all necessary actions to help our community. We have already established an immediate relief fund to help those affected by COVID-19. We have also launched a COVID-19 Response Fund. Please join us in supporting our efforts. Donate today!
- Hire a Day Worker - COVID-19 is impacting our community's day workers tremendously. They rely on jobs to feed their families and cover necessary healthcare costs. If you have any jobs that do not require direct contact (for example, backyard clean-up, outside painting, etc.), please consider reaching out to us so that we can refer you to day workers. We will help organize transportation. Or perhaps you have other ways that you would like to support these workers. Please contact [email protected], if you would like to help.
- Continuing Education Outside of B1C
A big thank you goes out to all our dedicated ELL volunteers. Our online tutoring sessions are in full swing. If you are interested to tutor online, please contact Suzanne at [email protected].
HOW TO STAY UPDATED
How can I stay up to date with announcements and important information from B1C?
Please make sure to follow us on all social media outlets, check our website, and sign up for our newsletter. We will continue to use these three communication vehicles to distribute information.
Important Community Phone Number and Resources:
Stamford Health COVID-19 hotline at 203.276.4111, 7 days a week, from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m
Please click here to be connected to the latest updates from the City of Stamford. Here you can find out information regarding the latest COVID-19 testing sites.
Click here to view our comprehensive COVID-19 Safety booklet.
If you feel sick, you should call the Stamford Health Hotline or make an appointment to get tested for COVID-19. Click here for updated locations.
We recommend to check the following links for more information:
- CT Department of Health Information on COVID-19
- Town of Stamford Health Information on COVID-19
- World Health Organization (WHO) Information about Coronavirus US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Situation Summary
- CDC: Stop The Spread (English version) - Detenga La Propagación De Los Microbiosayude (Spanish version)
- Resources and updates from Stamford Hospital
- Choose “All City News & Announcements” to receive daily COVID-19 and other updates from the City of Stamford
- City of Stamford COVID-19 Information for Residents
A BIG thank you for staying informed and supporting B1C.